As the male body ages, it undergoes numerous changes in hormone levels, most predominantly in growth hormone and testosterone. An interesting fact about these two hormones is that they are mutually beneficial – able to help stimulate each other’s production. If one or both of these hormones decline, numerous deficiency symptoms may occur. In this review, we look at the benefits of HGH therapy for men with medically diagnosed growth hormone deficiency (GHD), as well as the best way to increase low GH levels.
The benefits of HGH for men extend only to those individuals diagnosed with GHD. The use of human growth hormone injections for any other reason is illegal and dangerous. Raising HGH levels higher than their natural state can increase the risk of adverse effects. Just as low GH levels are unhealthy for the body, so are higher than normal amounts of growth hormone.
One reason why HGH therapy is gaining popularity among older men is that it appears to set back the clock on aging. No, HGH does not stop time or prevent aging. What it does do is ensure that the body has enough growth hormone to support all the functions that can suffer when GHD interferes with crucial physiological actions.
When a man has low GH levels, many of his growth hormone receptor cells do not receive the stimulus required to perform their actions. When that happens, and the receptors sit dormant, the following functions can suffer:
- Cell regeneration
- Immune support
- Temperature regulation
- Sexual performance
- Cognitive processing and recall
That is why the benefits of HGH therapy for men seem valuable to those who suffer from weight gain, poor glucose uptake, premature aging, frequent illness, low libido, and forgetfulness.
The benefits of HGH therapy for men have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life if they have growth hormone deficiency.
Common Benefits of Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy in Men
The benefits of HGH for men fall into different categories, such as those you can see, those you can feel, and those that work beneath the service to improve overall well-being.
As we look at some of the most common benefits of HGH therapy for men, we cannot help but discuss what some people consider to be the anti-aging effects of this treatment. Since we often view aging in terms of appearance, that is the first item we will cover in the list below, followed by some of the many other ways that human growth hormone supports male health and quality of life.
People often view many of the benefits of HGH improving cell regeneration as anti-aging effects. These are positive changes we can see with our eyes, such as:
- Increased collagen and elastin production resulting in the firming and tightening of the skin – reducing the appearance of wrinkles and sagging
- Improved collagen and cell supply to the hair follicles for better, thicker, and faster hair growth
- Overall toning of the body – more in the items below
- Sharper brain functions including improved ability to learn new information and better memory storage and recall occur as GH receptors in the brain receive what they need for better processing
Because GHD results in declining functions in many areas of well-being, it is natural that most people will see improvements in these areas, including:
- Cardiovascular health improves for numerous reasons, including better lipid metabolism and lower cholesterol, improved insulin sensitivity and better glucose uptake by the cells, reduced blood pressure, better circulation, decreased plaque buildup in the arteries, and less inflammation. HGH also improves left ventricular mass and posterior wall thickness, stroke volume, and left ventricular ejection diastolic diameters.
- Reduced instances of mortality and morbidity due to cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases.
- Better immune system functions and less illness as a result of improved thymus function and better white blood cell production.
- GHD has long been associated with changes in emotional well-being, including mood swings, depression, anxiety, irritability, and stress. Growth hormone effects work directly on the brain’s neurotransmitters, where they help reduce stress and improve emotional health and quality of life.
Muscle Growth and Bone Mass
HGH therapy has been associated in numerous studies with increased skeletal mass and bone mineral density. Individuals experience better muscle protein synthesis and bone resorption. Significant improvements in bone mineral density at the lumbar spine in men have been reported.
Many males experience a profound change in body composition with a decline in fat mass – especially visceral and abdominal adiposity. The reduction of stored fat corresponds with improvements in cardiovascular risk, less strain on the joints, bones, and heart, and better mobility. Metabolic syndrome risk factors also decline.
Sexual Function Restoration
While we will discuss erectile dysfunction in the next section, we want to touch on the subject of male fertility here. One of the benefits of HGH therapy for men is that increased human growth hormone helps to support the action of spermatogenesis. Not only does GH directly stimulate sperm cell maturation, but its effects on improving testosterone production in the testes also increases spermatogenesis.
Erectile Dysfunction and HGH
As we continue discussing the benefits of HGH for men, we turn to a subject to great importance for many males – sex drive and erectile functions. We start by getting down to basics to examine how an erection, as well as dysfunction, occurs.
An erection occurs when blood vessels inside the corpora cavernosa in the penis relax, open up, and become engorged with blood. The trapping of the blood under the high pressure causes the erection. For this to occur, sexual arousal must take place in the brain. It is this mental and sensory stimulation that sends the signals down to the penis through the expansive system of nerves. Proper blood flow and circulation are requirements for erectile functions.
What Are the Possible Reasons for Erectile Dysfunction in Older Males?
Erectile dysfunction has many causes, including:
- relationship problems
- lack of sleep
- nerve infringement
- heart disease
- atherosclerosis (clogged arteries)
- high blood pressure
- alcohol abuse
- certain medical conditions and medications
- hormone deficiency
- poor circulation
How Does HGH Help With Erectile Dysfunction If the Problem Is Emotional?
The benefits of HGH therapy for men can help with ED when issues such as depression, stress, fatigue, and lack of sleep are involved. GHD influences the brain’s neurotransmitters by decreasing their signals. The necessary “feel-good” endorphins that can send sexual stimulation to the penis decrease. Since low GH levels often lead to testosterone deficiency, a man loses out on the stimulus that also comes from testosterone to the brain. HGH therapy can improve all these areas – helping to restore feelings of sexual desire and fantasy.
How Can HGH Help With Erectile Dysfunction When the Problem Is Physical?
Depending on the issues behind ED, HGH therapy can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. That improves heart functions and circulation. Since HGH also increases insulin growth factor 1 levels necessary for the production of nitric oxide (NO), which also enhances erectile functions. NO is crucial for helping support proper blood flow to the penis. Since being overweight is also an issue, HGH helps reduce fat which can aid erectile functions.
Ways to Increase HGH Levels in Older Men
By now, it should be evident that maintaining the benefits of HGH for men is essential at any age. The question is how to increase growth hormone levels as they decline. Although it is natural for GH production to decrease with age, it is not beneficial if those levels get too low.
Here are the facts about the different ways of increasing growth hormone levels:
The best option is always prevention. If you can stop growth hormone levels from getting too low, you can avoid many of the symptoms of GHD. The best ways to maintain healthy growth hormone production include:
- Staying at a healthy weight – being overweight decreases growth hormone production.
- Getting proper sleep – most of the GH release and usage occurs at night, so 7 to 9 hours are optimal.
- Reducing stress – when the body is stressed, cortisol levels increase, which inhibits sleep and decreased growth hormone production.
- Exercising during the day – GH levels increase following exercise (high-intensity interval training is best).
- Stopping bad habits – since alcohol abuse and smoking interfere with growth hormone production, cease their use.
- The only real form of HGH therapy is human growth hormone injections. That is the best way to increase the amount of growth hormone in the body directly.
- If GH levels have declined, but not yet so low that they are causing problems, and natural remedies such as those above do not work, sermorelin or ipamorelin may help. These injectable medications are secretagogues that increase the amount of growth hormone naturally produced by the pituitary gland.
Oral and Other Medicines
Other products that claim to increase growth hormone levels do not work. Studies have shown no benefits from oral, topical, or other so-called “HGH” products.
To get the best benefits of HGH therapy for men, please contact our hormone clinic for a free consultation by phone.