HGH for Men
Table of Contents
- Endocrinologist Guidance: How Can Men Choose the Safest and Most Effective HGH Medication?
- HGH Supplements for Men
- HGH Injections For Men
- Why Do Men’s Bodies Need HGH For Optimal Health?
- What Happens Without Enough HGH?
- How Can Patients Enhance the Benefits of HGH Therapy?
- High-Quality, Safe, Effective HGH For Men: Where to Buy on the Web
- HGH For Men: Benefits
- HGH For Men: Side Effects
- HGH For Men in the Media
HGH For Men: Injections vs. Supplements
First, let’s explore the differences between HGH “supplements” and HGH injections (somatropin).
- What are HGH injections? These are formulations of synthetic human growth hormone that match the molecular structure of naturally-occurring human growth hormone that the pituitary gland produces.
The most common and widely used form of HGH injection is called somatropin, used both in children and in adults to treat growth hormone deficiency (GHD). The manufacturers of somatropin include Pfizer, Merck, Novo Nordisk, and other leading pharmaceutical firms. Somatropin has safely treated adult GHD patients since the 1950s when it first entered the medical industry. Since then, millions of patients have recovered optimal HGH levels, and their health, with this medication.
In addition to somatropin, there is recently approved a new HGH injection called Sogroya (somapacitan). The promise of this HGH injection is that it can be administered once per week, whereas patients must take somatropin daily. Sogroya is the first “long-acting GH (LAGH) analog” to hit the US market. This is an ideal option for patients who are afraid of needles or for some other reason do not want to take daily HGH injections.
- What Are HGH “supplements”? HGH “supplements” are unregulated, non-FDA-approved products sold without a prescription.
These supplements contain a wide range of ingredients that we will explore below. They also come in a variety of forms, some of which have better scientific backing than others. The most important thing to remember is that these products are typically not regulated or approved for treating growth hormone deficiency (GHD). As such, licensed endocrinologists do not recommend them for therapeutic use.
Here, you’ll find everything you need to know about HGH for men: the importance of maintaining healthy HGH levels, what to look for in an HGH medication, which ones to avoid, the best products on the market, and the pros and cons of various HGH formulas using the latest available scientific data.
Endocrinologist Guidance: How Can Men Choose the Safest and Most Effective HGH Medication?
Any endocrinologist worth his or her salt would advise patients with HGH deficiencies considering hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to ask the following questions:
- Is it manufactured by a licensed US or European manufacturer?
- Is it backed by clinical evidence?*
*This is the most critical question to ask. As we will get elaborate on in the following section, the HGH market is full of questionable HGH “supplements” that not only are not backed by the FDA but also have no proven clinical data to back up their effectiveness.
So, if you don’t want to waste your time and money (and potentially gamble with your health), you’ll want to read on.
HGH Supplements for Men
As we mentioned in the previous section, HGH supplements come in a number of forms for either topical administration or oral intake, which include:
Here is a chart that details the key comparisons between different HGH supplements as compared to HGH injections.
|Question / Type||HGH Sprays||HGH Pills||Injectable HGH|
|Are they safe?||Sometimes||Sometimes||Yes|
|What do these cost per month (on average?)||$150-$180||$30-$300||$600-$1,500|
|Is a prescription required?||No||No||Yes|
As you can see, the major appeal of these products is that they are generally cheaper than prescription-grade HGH injections and can be purchased over-the-counter. However, these “benefits” come with major downsides in terms of safety and effectiveness.
The companies that produce these products tend to market them aggressively, so chances are you’ve seen ads for one or more of the more popular formulations of HGH “supplements” that we’ll analyze further below.
What the Science Says
The category of HGH “supplements” is extremely broad, making any sweeping claims about their efficiency difficult, especially given the hidden nature of the true ingredients and the challenges posed by lack of regulatory oversight:
Operationally, the regulation of dietary supplements faces a number of issues and challenges not shared with conventional drugs or even food products. Notable amongst these are the sheer number of individual dietary supplements on the domestic markets, often numbering in the tens of thousands, and the fact that the sector contains many different types of products often posing very different risks that are grouped together often by the fact that they do not fit under any other regulatory regime.
These challenges leave the door open to unscrupulous actors who seek to sell cut-rate products to unsuspecting customers. Unfortunately, the most vulnerable among us are also the most susceptible to falling victim to unproven HGH “supplements”:
Dietary supplements as a cost-effective alternative may be especially appealing to vulnerable populations with no other access to powerful prescription medications; coincidentally, these groups often have low health literacy, making them less likely to be critical of misleading claims.
The potential dangers of unregulated HGH supplements illustrate the crucial importance of seeking the advice of a medical expert before trying any of these products.
This isn’t to say that all HGH supplements on the market are “fake.” There is some evidence, for example, that oral HGH supplements containing amino acids increase HGH temporarily, especially when paired with exercise. But these gains are not clinically significant enough to produce the HGH increases necessary for patients with clinical HGH deficiency.
“Homeopathic HGH,” often marketed as a spray or cream, ProBLEN’s ingredients list, as detailed on the manufacturer’s site, include:
- “liver extract 6x”
- “pituitary extract 30x”
- “human growth hormone” 30x
- Purified water 70%
- Organic alcohol 30%
Although “human growth hormone” is listed as an ingredient, it’s not clear what molecule it is or what form it actually takes. As a result, this product is highly suspect. Oral HGH supplements (often called “HGH boosters”) generally contain a combination of the following common ingredients:
- vitamin B6
- Fenugreek seed extract
- amino acids
- amino acid salts like arginine alpha-ketoglutarate
- unknown ingredients*
*The unregulated nature of “HGH boosters” for sale in the United States means that US patients are at risk of encountering unknown, often dangerous, chemicals or other contaminants not listed on the ingredients list.
HGH Supplements on the US Market
Force Factor Prime HGH
Price range: $ 60 – 70
Description: A blend of amino acids, choline donor AlphaSize, and mucuna pruriens. Claims to boost HGH by 700% (unverified)
Price range: $ 80 – 100
Description: pills containing hyaluronic acid, keratin peptides, and collagen peptides manufactured by SanMedica International (unapproved for clinical use)
Price range: $ 50 – 100
Description: oral formula containing l-lysine HCl, l-glutamine, N-acetyl-l-cysteine, l-arginine HCl, oxo-proline manufactured by Novex Biotech
How Do These Supplements Work?
The primary mechanism of action via oral HGH supplements is the amino acid content that produces modest but significant temporary upticks in HGH release. As for other common ingredients, there is little to no evidence to indicate their utility in boosting HGH.
It’s important to remember that, because the FDA does not regulate these products patients who rely on these products are often gambling with their health, in addition to potentially wasting their money, by using them.
Many of the most popular brands of HGH supplements (which we will explore in the next section) are sourced from the Third World. The chart below shows the percentage of medicines from these regions that are either substandard or falsified. This means they either don’t contain the ingredients they say they do or that the ingredients are not up to par in terms of quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are HGH Supplements FDA-approved?
No, the FDA does not approve over-the-counter HGH supplements.
Do HGH supplements for men work?
Some of the ingredients, like amino acids, may produce modest increases in HGH levels, but not enough to overcome a clinical deficiency.
Do endocrinologists recommend HGH supplements for men?
No, endocrinologists prescribe pharmaceutical HGH to patients with deficiencies.
Pros and Cons of HGH Supplements
HGH supplement pros:
- No prescription needed
- Cheaper than pharmaceutical-grade HGH
HGH supplement cons:
- Lack of support of clinical data
- Potentially dangerous cocktails of ingredients
- High risk of side effects
- Unregulated products
HGH Supplement Reviews
Keep in mind that reviews on the web may be paid posts or sourced from bots, so always be careful when reading them. With that said, here’s what users say about various HGH supplements.
HGH Injections For Men
Here is everything you need to know about HGH injections for men.
What the Science Says About HGH Injections
The science clearly supports the use of synthetic HGH (somatropin) to treat adult growth hormone deficiency (GHD).
For example, research published in the Journal of Endocrinological Investigation shows the effectiveness of somatropin (in this case, Omnitrope manufactured by Sandoz) for building muscle mass and decreasing fat (especially visceral fat, a particularly dangerous form of fat) in patients with low HGH levels:
“Patients with adult-onset GHD… show increased body fat (more specifically abdominal fat), and decreased muscle mass with reduced muscle strength and exercise capacity… This study confirms the effectiveness and safety of Omnitrope® in adult patients with GHD.”
Common Ingredients in HGH Injections
The common ingredients in somatropin are:
- recombinant human growth hormone (active ingredient)
- metacresol (as a preservative)
- sodium phosphate
Frequently Asked Questions About HGH Injections for Men
What is the right HGH dosage for injections?
The correct dosage varies from patient to patient depending on a number of factors like age, weight, severity of deficiency, healthcare goals, etc. However, the standard dosage for HGH replacement therapy is between 0.15 and 0.3 mg (milligram) per day.
Are HGH injections superior to HGH supplements?
Yes. Whereas HGH supplements sold on the web are unregulated and unapproved for the FDA.
Is HGH deficiency connected to low testosterone?
Yes, many men with low T also have HGH deficiencies. As an anabolic hormone, HGH directly stimulates testosterone production in men. Often, the optimal hormone therapy involves both TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) and HGH therapy simultaneously, as they work together to build muscle, enhance sexual performance, and more.
Where should I look for professional guidance to safely use HGH injections?
Always rely on the guidance of an experienced endocrinologist (hormone doctor). He or she will prescribe the appropriate dosage, recommend the ideal injection, and monitor your progress throughout therapy (important for catching potential side effects).
How Do These HGH Injections Work?
Somatropin – synthetic growth hormone – replaces the natural HGH normally made in the pituitary gland but which is reduced or absent in patients with diagnosed GHD. When it is injected into the skin, somatropin travels throughout the body and interacts with the various HGH receptor sites in the body.
Once somatropin reaches the liver, it triggers the release of another critical anabolic hormone, insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). Together, HGH and IGF-1 then perform the various building and protective activities throughout the body that ensure optimal health.
HGH Injections on the US Market
Here are some of the most popular HGH injections on the market. We’ve included the manufacturer in parenthesis.
Price: starts from $1235
Category: HGH Injections
Manufacturer: Novo Nordisk
Options: 5, 10, 15 mg
While the molecular formulation of somatropin – the advanced lab-grown synthetic version of HGH – has not changed in the past decades, the delivery technology for getting the medication into the patient’s body has improved radically.
The majority of these HGH medications come available in handy injection pens – perfect for patients who are afraid of needles, don’t want to deal with the hassle of assembling injection kits with vial and syringes, or who travel often for work and need a small, portable device.
The major advantages of HGH pens over the traditional vial-and-syringe method include:
- Transportability (ideal for people who travel).
- Ease of use. Patients who use injection pens report less pain and greater comfort compared to traditional needles.
- Consistent dosages.
- No waste. Studies show that, using the traditional syringe, up to 23% (nearly a quarter) of HGH supplies are wasted, compared to near-zero waste with injection pens. Over time, this could add up to, potentially, thousands of dollars in savings.
Ask your doctor if HGH injection pens might be an ideal alternative to the syringe and vial for you.
HGH Injections Reviews
Here is a sampling of what male patients have to say about their experiences with somatropin HGH injections.
Why Do Men’s Bodies Need HGH For Optimal Health?
HGH is essential for maintaining top physical and mental health, especially throughout the aging process. Produced in the pituitary gland, HGH enters the bloodstream where it travels to the liver. Once it reaches the liver, HGH triggers the release of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1).
That means that HGH isn’t just important on its own; it also supports healthy IGF-1 levels as well as balancing the overall hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA axis). The HPA axis is responsible for multiple functions in the body.
As a team, HGH, IGF-1, and various partner hormones perform pro-growth and maintenance tasks in the body, which include:
- Improving sexual performance and libido (sexual desire)
- Fortifying of bone strength
- Regulating blood sugar
- Boosting fat metabolism (fat burning).
- Stimulating muscle growth.
- Regulating mental health (combatting depression, anxiety, etc.)
- Protecting cardiovascular (heart) function.
- Distributing body fat evenly (body composition)
- Healthy cellular growth, regeneration, and reproduction.
Contrary to popular belief, HGH is essential throughout the life cycle – not just for kids, but for full-grown men as well. Although children need more HGH for the natural growth process, adult men must maintain optimal levels or risk serious health consequences.
The optimal range of HGH in circulation for men is from 0.4 to 10 ng/mL. As we will explore below, when levels fall below the thresholds above, the symptoms of HGH deficiency begin to appear.
What Happens Without Enough HGH?
As we age, the pituitary gland releases progressively less HGH. When levels fall below .4 ng/mL, the clinical signs of HGH deficiency become more and more obvious.
In the event of growth hormone deficiency, the lack of adequate HGH disrupts the complex HPA axis growth hormone network that we discussed earlier. This wreaks havoc on a number of physiological processes necessary for optimal health. Accordingly, the wide-ranging symptoms of HGH deficiency can include:
- Thin, dry skin
- Elevated triglyceride (cholesterol) levels
- Decreased muscle mass and strength
- Low libido (decrease in sexual function and interest)
- Difficulty concentrating and poor memory
- Chronic fatigue/tiredness
You may notice that activities you previously took great interest and joy in no longer have the same allure, you may feel “weighed down” all the time, you might lose sexual interest in your partner, and you will begin to notice the toll that low HGH levels take on your mental sharpness.
How Can Patients Enhance the Benefits of HGH Therapy?
In addition to receiving exogenous HGH (somatropin) injections through therapy, patients have a number of everyday tools at their disposal to naturally enhance HGH levels. These tools are important supplementations to therapy that you should consider including in your daily routine:
- Get plenty of restful sleep (7-9 hours each night). Following the circadian rhythm, the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle, the pituitary gland releases the greatest amount of HGH at night. This is why HGH deficiency is often connected to lack of sleep. Getting a minimum of 7 hours of shut-eye each night supports healthy HGH levels.
- Resistance training (weightlifting). The science is clear: weightlifting significantly increases HGH levels relatively quickly. As you push your muscles, the body’s adaptive hormonal mechanisms kick in to promote anabolic (pro-growth) processes in the body.
- Reduce stress via meditation, yoga, or other means. Due to HGH’s interaction with the HPA axis that we described earlier, abnormally high levels of the “stress hormone” cortisol can negatively impact HGH levels. Unfortunately, high cortisol levels are common in everyday American life due to the stresses of modern living, environmental toxins, lack of adequate sleep, etc. Accordingly, balancing cortisol levels in cases of HGH deficiency is important.
- Amino acid-rich, whole foods-based diet. We explored earlier the potential mild HGH-inducing benefits of HGH supplements. The mechanism of action for these is primarily their inclusion of various amino acids (methionine, arginine, lysine, phenylalanine). The good news is that these amino acids are widely available in everyday foods, so you don’t need to spend your money on costly HGH supplements to get enough of them. Also, eliminating processed foods, which reduce circulating HGH, supports optimal levels. Foods to include in an HGH-friendly diet are fish, raspberries, tomatoes, nuts, eggs, mustard seeds, grapes, and raspberries.
- Arginine supplementation.
- GABA supplementation.
- Intermittent fasting. Last but not least, intermittent fasting may be the single most powerful tool in your HGH-boosting arsenal. A simple 16-hour fasting regimen daily (with an 8-hour eating window) will significantly increase HGH levels in men.
High-Quality, Safe, Effective HGH For Men: Where to Buy on the Web
- Medzone is one of the highest-regarded suppliers of high-quality, licensed growth hormone injections in the United States. All of the HGH injections for sale on the site are fully approved for treating growth hormone deficiency. The company also features a wide array of highly effective, waste-free “injection pens” for convenient use while traveling or on the go.
Trust level: 5/5
- Amazon, as the primary online retailer of nearly everything, has a wide selection of HGH “supplements” or “HGH boosters” like “HGH gel” and GF-9. While the amino acid content of supplements like GF-9 may produce a mild increase in HGH release, they are not proven to effectively treat growth hormone disorder (GHD) and are therefore unsuitable for clinical use.
Trust level: 3.5/5
- GNC is a well-regarded supplements manufacturer with above-average quality in most of its products. The company’s flagship HGH supplement is the “Force Factor Prime HGH Secretion Activator,” a proprietary blend of amino acids like L-arginine, L-lysine, and L-glutamine plus mucuna pruriens, a bean extract that has shown mild efficacy for boosting HGH levels in combination with exercise.
Trust level: 4/5
- eBay was once the king of online retail but has since lost the title to Amazon. And, like Amazon, eBay sells a number of prescription-free HGH boosters like Somatogain. Unfortunately, these products often contain unknown ingredients with no clinical backing. For this reason, patients with GHD should avoid using eBay as their source for HGH supplements.
Trust level: 3/5
HGH For Men: Benefits
Millions of patients around the globe have used HGH throughout the decades of its existence because it produces a variety of health benefits, many of which patients describe as “transformative”:
The physical benefits of HGH for men include:
- Improved posture
- Glossier hair
- Greater strength
- Improved body composition (fat distribution)
- Enhanced sexual function and libido
- More youthful look (improved skin texture and appearance)
In addition to the physical benefits above, HGH for men also delivers an impressive array of mental health benefits to men with GHD. These include:
- Lifted mood
- Better reaction to stress
- Reduced anxiety
- Improved self-esteem
- Alleviated depression
- Optimized cognitive function
Generally, some benefits of HGH therapy manifest sooner than others. All of the beneficial effects of HGH injections accrue over time, increasing as you get deeper into therapy. In the chart below, we break down a rough estimate for when you can expect to reap the specific benefits of HGH therapy.
|Estimated Timeline for HGH Therapy Benefits|
|2 weeks||· Optimized sleep cycle (circadian rhythm)
· Increased energy levels
|1 month||· Improved mood (the symptoms of depression/anxiety begin to disappear)
· Drop in cortisol count (lower levels of the “stress hormone”)
|1-2 months||· Improved focus and cognition
· More positive outlook/worldview
· Increased cardiovascular stamina
|2 months||· Metabolism increases, resulting in more energy
· Fine lines/wrinkles around the mouth, eyes, and forehead begin to smooth out
|3-4 Months||· Further enhanced cognitive function
· Memory sharpens
· Increased skin thickness and elasticity – less sagging and wrinkles
· Nails become thicker/less brittle
· Immune system strengthens
· More drive, determination, motivation, and productivity
· Hair thickens and grows faster
· Noticeable boost in muscle strength/size
|5+ Months||· Cardiovascular output during exercises increases (more stamina)
· Inflammation decreases
· Blood pressure decreases in patients with hypertension
· Nitric oxide (NO) output increases
· Atherosclerosis decreases
HGH For Men: Side Effects
What follows below illustrates the critical importance of seeking the guidance of a licensed healthcare professional before, during, and after the completion of therapy. Failure to do so risks serious side effects.
HGH does come with a risk of side effects for men, especially in cases of unsupervised abuse by athletes and bodybuilders seeking to capitalize on the performance-enhancing benefits of the compound.
One of the telltale physical signs of HGH abuse is “HGH gut” or “roid gut,” characterized by a buildup of visceral fat around the midsection.
HGH abuse can also result in other noticeable physical effects:
- edema (fluid retention in the joints and extremities)
- acromegaly (enlarged hands, feet, and face)
In rare instances, HGH can also trigger a number of side effects. Examples of these unusual but sometimes serious side effects, which can typically be managed under the guidance of an endocrinologist, include:
- Mental health disorders.
- Abnormal breast tissue growth in men (gynecomastia)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Increased insulin resistance.
- Dangerously elevated cholesterol levels.
- Cardiovascular complications.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Enlarged heart.
Again, HGH side effects are usually mild and easily managed with appropriate care. Some patients – such as those currently battling cancer – should not receive HGH due to an increased risk of tumor growth in some circumstances. Your doctor will screen for any potential risk factors in your own case before proceeding with therapy.
HGH For Men in the Media
Within the past few years, the media has caught onto the enormous healing potential of HGH for men with low levels of the critical pro-growth hormone. Yet, despite the benefits that we’ve laid out in detail here, some mainstream outlets still run negative stories on HGH.
Here is a rundown of some of the most notable reporting from popular news sources.
In this article, the author falsely claims that there is no evidence for HGH’s benefits for boosting athletic performance in specific cases. However, this is untrue. As the evidence from clinical studies shows, “there is strong evidence that GH replacement improves exercise performance in GH-deficient patients.” The key word is “GH-deficient.” Indeed, excess HGH can be harmful and therefore should not be used by individuals with healthy HGH levels. However, the benefits of HGH supplementation are extensive for individuals with growth hormone deficiency – an important distinction that often goes unappreciated in mainstream media reporting.
In this piece from Men’s Journal, the author does a more balanced job of exploring the nuances of when HGH replacement therapy is appropriate and when it is not. As he duly notes, HGH can be a “miracle drug” for patients with deficiencies.
The article goes on to explain the precipitous drop in HGH over time (hence the importance of HGH in many anti-aging regimens):
“Some studies say men lose 14 percent of their GH production per decade, others by up to 50 percent every seven years. According to a study in the Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, by the time you’re 65, you generally secreting less than one-third the amount of GH you did when you were 35.”
What the data shows is that most men lose a significant amount of HGH over time – drop-offs that often go undiagnosed. That’s why regularly visiting an expert endocrinologist with experience diagnosing and treating hormone issues is so essential for good health over time.
Since opening its clinic doors in 2009, Medzone has established itself as an industry leader in high-quality, affordable hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for men in Texas, Florida, California, and New York. In this Medzone HGH review, they explore the best hgh for men on the market in 2021, the benefits of HGH therapy for men battling deficiencies, and where to access the purest HGH on the market.