Table of Contents
Adults diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) have many options for treatment, including Zomacton, a brand of human growth hormone (HGH) injections. The manufacturer of Zomacton is the pharmaceutical company, Ferring. Our review of Zomacton HGH looks at what human growth hormone therapy does, what it is, who can and cannot use this medication, benefits, side effects, and crucial information you need to know before using HGH treatment.
We start by discussing why growth hormone (GH) is important to adults who have long finished growing. While it is true that growth is the primary function of the hormone, also known as somatotropin during childhood, GH plays many other roles in the adult body. It is crucial for the secretion of insulin growth factor 1 (IGF-1), a hormone that mediates many functions of GH.
Here are some of the ways growth hormone impacts and influences adult well-being:
- Maintaining a well-functioning metabolism which supports the following:
- Conversion of food into fuel
- Burning of stored fat
- Supporting the sensitivity of the body’s cell to the effects of insulin
- Promotion of glucose uptake by the cells for energy
- Stimulating the production of new cells (with the help of IGF-1) providing the following benefits to the body:
- Preserving collagen and elastin supplies to keep the skin supple, firm, and healthy
- Maintaining strong bones and muscles
- Preventing internal organ shrinkage for optimum functions
- Supporting eye health
- Promoting thick, shiny hair growth
- Keeping the nails from becoming brittle
- Stimulating crucial brain functions:
- Supporting learning and cognitive processing
- Sharpening memory storage and recall
- Providing neuroprotective benefits
- Balancing endorphin levels and emotional well-being
- Promoting overall health through:
- Lowering high LDL cholesterol and blood pressure levels
- Stimulating thymus growth and functions for better immunity
- Increasing cardiac capacity and output
- Improving sleep and lowering cortisol levels
- Reducing inflammation in the body
- Supporting healthy sexual functions, such as:
- Sex drive
- Vaginal lubrication
- Erectile functions
- Fertility in males and females
- Increasing pleasure
Zomacton steps in when the pituitary gland does not secrete enough growth hormone to support these and many other critical functions in the body. It provides balance to essential GH levels resulting in benefits such as those seen above.
Instructions for Adults
Zomacton is a complex therapy that treats GHD in adults by providing the body with an exogenous supply of human growth hormones. It is not for use as a dietary supplement to aid in bodybuilding or athletic advancement of any kind. Zomacton is not approved for anti-aging purposes or physical enhancement. Increasing growth hormone levels higher than normal provides no benefits for the body and could result in significant side effects.
Growth hormone deficiency resulting in the need for Zomacton HGH therapy may be due to any of the following:
- Head injury (trauma)
- Opioid or substance abuse
- Pituitary or hypothalamic disease
- Tumor in the hypothalamus or pituitary gland
- Surgery or radiation to treat a tumor or damage in the pituitary gland or hypothalamus
- Genetic or medical issues, or treatments interfering with hormone production
- Impaired blood supply to the brain
- Undiagnosed causes (may also include age-related decline, lack of sleep or exercise, obesity, and other issues)
Here are some crucial facts about Zomacton use for adults:
Zomacton use is indicated when low growth hormone levels interfere with daily life in some form. Adults with GHD may experience any of the following signs of growth hormone decline:
- Sleep disturbances and lack of energy
- Poor focus, cognitive functions, and memory
- Weight gain and elevated blood sugar levels
- Muscle and bone loss
- Joint pains, stiffness, and weakness
- Lack of sex drive, impaired functions, and reduced pleasure
- Frequent or longer-lasting illness
- Thinning hair and aging skin (wrinkles and sagging)
- Loss of motivation and productivity
- Social isolation
- Depression and other mood changes
- Decreased quality of life
Dosage & Administration
Your doctor will determine the dosage of Zomacton necessary to balance your body’s growth hormone levels. Administration of Zomacton may be a daily treatment, or less often, again, dependent on what the doctor prescribes. Do not shake the vial of Zomacton as it will cause the solution to become cloudy and unsuitable for use. Never use any HGH solution that changes color or contains particles or crystals.
Refrigeration may cause a slightly cloudy appearance. Allow the Zomacton to sit at room temperature for up to 30 minutes before use, and the cloudiness should disappear. If it does not, do not use it. Always sterilize the Zomacton vial stopper and the injection site with an alcohol wipe before preparing and administering the medication. Follow all directions as provided by your doctor.
Storage and Use
Zomacton requires continual refrigeration before and after reconstitution. 5 mg vials of Zomacton last for up to 14 days after mixing, and 10 mg vials are good for up to 28 days. Do not freeze Zomacton.
Zomacton comes in 5 and 10 mg vials and must be reconstituted with their accompanying diluent. Do not use the diluent for the 5 mg vials of Zomacton HGH with the 10 mg vials or vice versa. (See the description section above for more information about Zomacton and its corresponding diluents.)
Vials of Zomacton may be used with standard insulin syringes and needles. Ferring also offers the ZOMA-Jet 10 – a unique, needle-free pen delivery system that “pushes” the HGH through the skin with a single click. Studies have shown it to be as effective as a needle injection.
Let your doctor know about all prescription and non-prescription drugs that you take, including over-the-counter supplements and vitamins. Zomacton may interfere with the following medications, or they may diminish HGH efficacy.
- Oral estrogen
- Insulin and other diabetes medications
- CP450 cytochrome drugs
Warnings & Precautions
Do not take Zomacton if any of the following contraindications are present:
- Hypersensitivity (allergy) to ingredients in Zomacton or its diluents
- Active malignancy or tumor
- Proliferative or non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy
- Severe breathing difficulty
- Acute critical illness resulting from complications caused by abdominal or open-heart surgery or multiple accidental trauma
Let your doctor know about any of the following before starting Zomacton:
- Sleep apnea
- Previous cancer
- Liver or kidney disease or transplant
- Pregnancy, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding
- Thyroid conditions or treatments
The most common side effects of Zomacton are redness, swelling, pain, irritation, inflammation, or itching at the injection site. Some people may experience edema, fatigue, headaches, joint, muscle, or nerve pain during the first few weeks of treatment. These symptoms typically disappear on their own. If they persist, or if there are concerns, please contact the prescribing doctor for further instructions.
It is rare for anyone to overdose on Zomacton HGH – unless they are using it illegally in extremely high dosages. Acute Zomacton overdose may result in hypoglycemia, followed by hyperglycemia. Acromegaly, type 2 diabetes, and carpal tunnel syndrome could occur with continual abuse or overuse.
Zomacton is biologically identical in structure to pituitary derived growth hormone.
If you believe you may be suffering from adult GHD, contact our hormone clinic for a free phone consultation to discuss your situation. Ferring may have an assistance program to help cover the cost for some people. We offer confidential services, low-cost and convenient diagnostic testing, and affordable treatment options, including Zomacton HGH therapy.